Collin College is committed to providing a healthy, safe, drug-free environment. KNOW NOW is an initiative to educate students about issues related to substance use/abuse and to empower you to make positive choices for your future.
Signs of problem substance use
The 3 Cs of Addiction*:
- Experiencing a strong urge to use or constant thoughts of using
- Spending a great deal of time in activities necessary to obtain or use alcohol or other drugs
- Loss of Control
- Using more than intended or for longer periods than intended
- Engaging in unexpected or unplanned behaviors while using
- Difficulty cutting back or controlling use
- Continued use despite negative consequences
- Recurrent social, financial, legal, or interpersonal problems
- Continuing to use despite problems in these areas
*Adapted from the American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders: DSM–5. Washington, D.C: American Psychiatric Association.
The following services are available at Collin College Counseling Services locations below:
- Assessment and appropriate referral for students concerned about substance use, misuse, or abuse
- Consultation and/or counseling for enrolled students regarding peers or loved ones with substance use issues
- Presentations and programming for prevention and education about substance use issues
- Free online screening tools to help determine whether someone’s use is problematic
- Outreach events and informational tables that educate students about community resources for treatment including no/low cost treatment options.
Spring Creek Campus – Rm. D134
Preston Ridge Campus – Founders Rm. 144
Central Park Campus – Rm. B336
Hours: 8am-5pm Monday-Thursday 9am-5pm Friday
Evening hours vary. Contact your campus location for details.
Email: [email protected]